How your gastroenterologist in Huntsville, AL, can help if you have liver disease.
Millions of people in this country suffer from liver problems. If you think you might have problems with your liver, you need to know the facts. Your gastroenterologist is an expert at diagnosing and treating liver problems, so you are not alone.
Dr. E. Anthony Ugheoke at Associates In Gastroenterology in Huntsville, AL, provides a wide range of gastroenterology services, including treatment of liver problems.
Your liver performs an important function. It eliminates toxins from your body, protecting your entire body from illness and disease. When your liver is compromised, the toxins build up in your tissues, and can damage your vital organs.
Liver problems can be caused by:
- A viral or bacterial infection
- Chronic obesity and poor diet
- Genetics or an autoimmune condition
- Excessive alcohol use or a drug reaction
So, how do you know if you have liver problems? There are several signs and symptoms for you to pay attention to, including:
- Sudden weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal bloating
- Edema and swelling
- Yellow skin and eyes (jaundice)
- Chronic weakness and fatigue
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Mental and physical difficulties
Liver problems can eventually turn into liver disease, which is categorized in 4 stages:
- Stage 1; your immune system reacts to a foreign substance, causing liver inflammation
- Stage 2; chronic liver inflammation leads to fibrosis and scarring in your liver
- Stage 3; severe liver scarring leads to cirrhosis of your liver
- Stage 4; your liver stops functioning properly and you are in liver failure
You can do a lot to help prevent liver problems including eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and abstaining or limiting alcohol use. Seeing your gastroenterologist regularly can also help diagnose liver problems early, when they are easily treatable.
To learn more about the signs and symptoms of liver problems, talk with an expert. Call Dr. E. Anthony Ugheoke at Associates In Gastroenterology in Huntsville, AL. You can reach him in the office by calling (256) 883-0098, so call today.